Curtains and blinds come under window coverings, which are essentially used for controlling sunlight and heat, and for privacy and of course safety.
But today, the decorative utility of curtains and blinds are the major criterion that is looked upon by home owners when they buy these window coverings. Though curtains are used in the interior of a house, blinds can be both external and internal, as per the design and purpose.
How to select the right curtains and blinds?
Window coverings matter: It is not just the design of the windows that matter but the right window coverings. If curtains and blinds are planned well and as per the interiors of the house, they can add elegance, style and beauty to any home.
Decide on curtains and blinds at the designing stage: the right color and design of window treatments are essential aspects while designing a house. If the windows are large, then you can install roller blinds or Roman or Venetian blinds.
White is always right: Since one can hardly go wrong with white elements in home interiors, many choose this color. Different shades of white can add to the beauty of your house, but you need a good designer who can suggest the right shade to different rooms.
- Minimal is in: Though less is more in choosing curtains and blinds, a trend that has caught up is to give character to a room through curtains and blinds.
- Colors and light in the room: You should go for warm colors in blinds and curtains if the room receives less or no light but in a room with adequate sunlight, cool colors work well.
- Curtains and blinds that match with interiors: To give symmetry to the room, it is better to match window coverings with the furniture. Today, you get curtains and blinds in many colors and hence you can choose ones that go with your interiors.
How to pair curtains and blinds together?
- Get the blinds first and then the curtains: Roller blinds and venetian blinds can be nicely used with curtains. If you are using timber blinds, then your curtains should be of warm colors. Light colors can be matched with any kind of blinds. Just remember not to overdo the colors, but try to maintain balance.
- Pair solid colors and prints: When pairing curtains and blinds, it is important to look at their designs. If you are going for a curtain with prints, then it is better to have the blind in a solid color and vice versa. You can go for any one of the color in the print design for the solid color.
- The right combination can enhance window perception: You can make the window look bigger than it is by the right pairing of blinds and drapes.
- Accessories work well: Be it tiebacks or any other accessory, if teamed up well, they can add to the beauty of the window and even the room.
- Let each room look different: You have to ensure that each of your room has different curtains when you are pairing up blinds and curtains, otherwise you house can look incoherent.
It is not just decorative purpose that curtains and blinds serve but they also help in making a room comfortable and cool. It is thus important to go for the right blinds and curtains that suit not just your rooms but even your personality. A well-designed and planned curtains and blinds can even light up your mood and spirits. At end of the day, these window coverings give a cozy look and feel to the room, so much so that wherever you are, you want to return to the comfort within of your room. That’s the effectiveness of curtains and blinds. Think about it!