It can take awhile to realize that a mattress needs to be replaced. The quality breakdown in a mattress is slow and gradual. For the average mattress lifespan, it typically takes 10 years before it become too old and worn out for use. Here are 5 signs that you should consider a mattress replacement:
- The mattress is riddled with rips and tears. It’s always better to have a smooth surface to sleep on, and rips won’t provide that smooth surface.
- You wake up feeling stiff or sore. If the mattress is causing soreness, then you are not receiving enough comfort from your mattress. This could be a result of poor cushion filling. A proper mattress should be firm enough to provide the right kind of pressure while you sleep.
- The mattress has lumps. Lumping occurs where there is uneven padding within the mattress. Lumps tend to happen more often with poorer quality mattresses. According to The Foam Factory, natural latex doesn’t have this problem and tends to last longer.
- The mattress sags. Sagging usually happens when a permanent impression develops in the mattress. A high quality foam mattress should be able to avoid a problem like sagging.
- The box spring makes a lot of noise. You can tell a lot from a mattress just by the sounds it makes. If it creaks and moans at any movement, then this could be a sign that the box spring is too worn out to provide support for the mattress.