Concrete floorings have come of age, from the drab grey floors of yester years to the Decorative concrete coatings that is gaining wide acceptance now. Concrete coatings are multi-colored and textured surface enhancement products that can be applied to both horizontal and vertical surfaces. It incorporate qualities of resin as well as acrylic. These coatings can even be customized if the design calls for, as there is an unlimited color and texture combinations now available. Decorative concrete coatings can be now applied using intricate paper stensil over kitchen counters and walls.
This coating is not always about the utility and the functionality of the material, but about aesthetic enhancement. This has to do with creativity and with ideas also. These can be applied anywhere in the house, maybe even walls, floors, or driveways, and patios as well. The materials used to decorate the concretes differ according to the pattern, material, place of use and design as well.
Generally the transformation of acid concretes into decorative concrete coatings is not that easy and is a challenging job to be done. This is a flourishing and yet developing industry as more and more innovative materials are being introduced to widen the options. The decoration can be done during the pouring process or while curing of the concrete as well. Decorative concrete coatings come in many forms such as stamped concrete, acid concrete, acid staining, decorative over lay, polished concrete, concrete counter top, decorative vertical overlay and many more.
Sorts of decorative concrete coatings and their use:
- Stamped concrete is a general and common process to add texture to the decoration of the concrete surface. This also adds an array of colours to make it resemble a stone, hence, giving it a stony surface and a stoney look. It may also be done to resemble bricks, cobble stones, or slate. Even natural textures of wood, fossils or shells can also be provided.
- The process is all about pressing a mould into the concrete to leave an imprint of the desired texture, pattern and the design upon the surface. Colour is added by using dry shakes or colour hardeners. Powder or liquid releasers are also in vogue for adding colour to the textures on the stamped concretes. Intricate textures can be developed by combining all the processes further.
- Stamped concretes are used on drive ways, commercial road, parking lots and even on interior floors. Other varieties are concrete dyes and water based staining which look very attractive and enhances the looks of the room. Since most of the coating work is customized, one must be very clear about the final design, pattern, color, and also price before moving ahead with the coating work.
The pros and cons of decorative concrete coatings that are:
- Decorative concrete coatings have gained wide acceptance because it unlimited customization options. Therefore, the customer needs to have a clear idea of what his expectations are. The options before a customer with good creative sense is immense. This is the reason why decorative concrete coatings have caught the imagination of the hoi polloi.
- Decoration with concrete coating is gaining wide popularity. Many intricate and complex designs are being widely sought after, but it can be hard to clean stains that may ruin the intricate designs and may require professional help to restore it back to its old glory.
- In spite of the flaws and the perks this is a breakthrough in the field of interior decorations and floor enhancements. It is now widely used for driveways, patios, commercial roads, parking lots, and other places as well. With new materials and compounds being introduced into this mode of surface decoration, the options for customisation is breaking new boundaries of creativity and style like never before.
So, these are some of the vital information you should keep in your mind when you are planning to do decorative concrete coatings on floor.